May 28, 2013
BOSTON and Centerville, Mass. May 28, 2013 – The MSPCA-Angell today previewed the agenda for the 11th annual Furry Affair, the signature fundraising event that draws hundreds of animal loving philanthropists to the famed Wianno Club in Osterville for an evening dedicated to celebrating animals. The event, to be held on Saturday, June 1, 2013, is expected to raise more than $100,000 to support the MSPCA’s Centerville Animal Care and Adoption Center.
The 2013 Furry Affair will be hosted by celebrated WCVB-TV news anchor Susan Wornick, who will also serve as auctioneer. The event will feature both a silent and live auction, a sit-down dinner and the presentation of the prestigious Guardian Angel Award—which is given each year to a member of the Cape Cod community who exemplifies the MSPCA’s mission of kindness and care to animals.
Said Wornick about her role as host and auctioneer, “I’m so looking forward to seeing many friends and combining my love for a good party with my commitment to animal welfare and the organizations who champion the plight of homeless pets. I’m confident this will be the best event yet!”
The 2012 Furry Affair raised $92,000, all of which was used to house and care for homeless animals at the MSPCA’s Centerville shelter. The highlight of the auction last year was a bidding war over lunch with hockey great Bobby Orr, who was in attendance. And this year’s auction is shaping up to be equally exciting.
Attendees will bid on fabulous prizes and packages including:
· A “Sox and Pinstripes” package valued at $600 that includes four tickets (and free parking pass) to watch the Boston Red Sox/New York Yankees game on July 21 from a field-level box right behind home plate
· A “Pink Sand Beaches and Bermuda Shorts” getaway that includes a three-night stay at the luxurious Fairmont Hamilton Princess hotel in Hamilton, Bermuda. The package is valued at $5,000
· The “Katherine Houston Porcelain Botanical Centerpiece,” a one-of-a-kind hand sculpted hard paste porcelain art piece valued at $5,000
· The “Hinckley Picnic Boat Excursion” that includes a spectacular cruise for up to eight people on one of Barton & Gray’s Hinckley Picnic boats. The four-hour excursion can be redeemed at any one of the company’s locations which include Osterville, Nantucket, Boston, Newport, Palm Beach, Naples and more. The cruise is valued at $2,000 to $3,500
· A “Score with #4” package that includes lunch and golf for two with Boston Bruins legend and Hall of Famer Bobby Orr at the Ridge Club in Sandwich, Mass. The package includes two personalized and autographed hockey sticks signed by the greatest hockey player of all time
· A chance to win a walk-on part in the Doug Atchison directed movie Turk, based on Boston hockey legend Derek Sanderson’s amazing life
The Furry Affair is sponsored by individuals and organizations universally recognized for their commitment to animal welfare, including Marjorie and John McGraw, Maggie and Kevin Ahearn, Lindsay Cook and Holly Hoyt Crissan. 2013 corporate sponsors include the Ultimate Dog, which will present the Guardian Angel Award; Otis & Aheam Real Estate, a platinum level sponsor; and Wells Fargo Advisors, a silver-level sponsor.
The MSPCA-Angell is a national and international leader in animal protection and veterinary medicine and provides direct hands-on care for thousands of animals each year. Founded in 1868, it is the second-oldest humane society in the United States. Services include animal protection and adoption, advocacy, humane education, law enforcement, and world-class veterinary care. The MSPCA-Angell is a private, non-profit organization. It does not receive any government funding nor is it funded or operated by any national humane organization. The MSPCA-Angell relies solely on the support and contributions of individuals who care about animals. Please visit www.mspca.org.