Please note, because of our small staff numbers, all adoptions are done by appointment.
Adopting an animal to a responsible and compassionate home is what we strive for each day at the Equine and Farm Animal Center. Our adoption procedures are designed to ensure that the animals in our care go to homes where they will receive appropriate, loving care.
Please note that any animal adopted from the MSPCA at Nevins Farm cannot be sold or the ownership transferred without first contacting us. If for some reason the adoption does not work out, we will help you find an alternative home or, if necessary, bring the animal back to our farm.
The equine adoption program offers a wide variety of breeds, ages and ability levels - from just starting out to ready to hit the trails. We typically have a variety of horses available for adoption, depending upon the season. Breeds range from Morgans to Thoroughbreds, Standardbreds to Quarter horses and more.
Our equine adoption process takes time to ensure that it is a good match. Please be patient as we work through the details.
- Please view our list of animals on the website to see which one would fit with your riding skills and expectations.
- Once you have spotted a horse that interests you please call the barn office to talk about the horses abilities and needs. The staff will discuss the commitment, both financial and emotional, with you. Please be patient reaching a staff member as they are usually in the barn working, they will call you back as soon as they can.
- If all goes well, we'll have you set up an appointment to groom or work with the horse. If that appointment goes nicely we will have you set up a riding appointment (if applicable). We may request a video of you riding prior to the riding portion of the adoption. If it appears that you and the horse are a good match, we'll have you complete a Prospective Adopter form.
- Once you are ready to adopt, we will check references and schedule a visit to the facilities where the horse will be housed.
- At the time of adoption, we request an adoption fee that varies depending on the horse and their abilities and your circumstances. We depend on these fees to run our adoption and surrender programs. We always stay in touch with new adopters to answer their questions and to assist in the transition to a new home.
Placing a farm animal in a responsible and appropriate home is one of the most rewarding parts of our work at Nevins Farm. Each staff member works closely with each potential adopter during the adoption process.
When you have found a farm animal that you are interested in either from our website or from visiting the farm please contact the barn staff to learn more about that animal and to set up an appointment to begin the adoption process.
- The staff member will have you fill out a farm animal adoption application.
- The farm staff member will review your application and will discuss financial consideration, appropriate shelter, fencing and care of that particular species of animal.
- A staff person will visit your home and/or farm to insure that the animal will be living in a safe and adequate environment.
- A photograph of your chicken coop, waterfowl shed or property will help to facilitate the adoption process.
- Once the adoption is approved, a fee will be requested. Fees for adoptions vary with each animal and with the adopter's circumstances. Please inquire with a staff member about the adoption donation.
We have a variety of farm birds, including chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, and even the occasional peacock! Please email or call to discuss which bird may be right for you and to set up an appointment. To adopt a farm bird, pictures of the interior and extrerior of your coop will be required.
For More Information:
MSPCA at Nevins Farm
Methuen, MA. 01844
978-687-7453 x 6113