Although the MSPCA’s volunteer program requires that volunteers be at least 16 years old to work with animals, there are many ways that children can help homeless pets. From hosting a bake sale fundraiser to creating a brochure that outlines the best way to care for a pet, kids can make a positive difference in the lives of animals. Click here to learn more.
But many children want to experience what it’s really like to roll up their sleeves and get a little dirty cleaning cages and mucking stalls! That’s why we offer the MSPCA at Nevins Farm’s “Family Service Day” series. Eleven times a year, from 9am-12noon (most often on a Monday holiday), adult-child pairs are able to participate as hands-on volunteers at the MSPCA.
Each group participates in three activities: an animal care chore, support chores, and an educational presentation that includes a fun activity and animal meet & greet. Animal care chores include cleaning cat cages, walking gentle dogs, or mucking horse stalls. Available to kids in grades 2-6, the program provides a fun and educational opportunity for families to make a meaningful contribution to the MSPCA’s animal care efforts.
All chores are fully supervised by trained staff and volunteers to make sure that everyone has a fun and safe experience.
- Participants will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis
- Each pair is defined as a child and a parent/guardian (or a babysitter, adult sibling, grandmother, Big Brother, etc.)
- For families with more than one child who wants to participate, another adult is required to attend
- All registered families will be contacted via email, one week prior to their registered session, with additional program details
- The program registration fee is $20 per pair (due at registration, non-refundable), and the proceeds help support our many animal care and adoption programs!
2014 session dates:
Monday, January 20th (Martin Luther King Day)
Monday, February 17th (Presidents Day)
Sunday, March 23rd
Monday, April 21st (Patriots Day)
Monday, May 26th (Memorial Day)
Sunday, June 8th
Sunday, August 3rd
Monday, September 1st (Labor Day)
Monday, October 13th (Columbus Day)
Tuesday, November 11th (Veterans Day)
Monday, December 29th
2013 session dates:
Monday, December 30th