Although the MSPCA’s volunteer program requires that volunteers be at least 16 years old to work with animals, there are many ways that children can help homeless pets. From hosting a bake sale fundraiser to creating a brochure that outlines the best way to care for a pet, kids can make a positive difference in the lives of animals. Click here to learn more.
But many children want to experience what it’s really like to roll up their sleeves and get a little dirty cleaning cages and mucking stalls! That’s why we offer the MSPCA at Nevins Farm’s “Family Service Day” series. Eleven times a year, from 9am-12noon (most often on a Monday holiday), adult-child pairs are able to participate as hands-on volunteers at the MSPCA.
Each group participates in three activities: an animal care chore, support chores, and an educational presentation that includes a fun activity and animal meet & greet. Animal care chores include cleaning cat cages, walking gentle dogs, or mucking horse stalls. Available to kids in grades 2-6, the program provides a fun and educational opportunity for families to make a meaningful contribution to the MSPCA’s animal care efforts.
All chores are fully supervised by trained staff and volunteers to make sure that everyone has a fun and safe experience.
- Participants will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis
- Each pair is defined as a child and a parent/guardian (or a babysitter, adult sibling, grandmother, Big Brother, etc.)
- For families with more than one child who wants to participate, another adult is required to attend
- All registered families will be contacted via email, one week prior to their registered session, with additional program details
- The program registration fee is $20 per pair (due at registration, non-refundable), and the proceeds help support our many animal care and adoption programs!
2012 session dates:
Monday, January 16th (Martin Luther King Day)
Monday, February 20th (Presidents Day)
Monday, April 16th (Patriots Day)
Monday, May 28th (Memorial Day)
Monday, August 20th
Monday, October 8th (Columbus Day)
2013 session dates:
Monday, January 21st (Martin Luther King Day)
Monday, February 18th (Presidents Day)
Sunday, March 24th
Monday, April 15th (Patriots Day)
Monday, May 27th (Memorial Day)
Sunday, June 16th (Father's Day)
Monday, August 19th
Monday, September 2nd (Labor Day)
Monday, October 14th (Columbus Day)
Monday, November 11th (Veterans Day)
Monday, December 30th