Pet Safety Tips

Easter Lilies

Which houseplant is more dangerous than a Poinsettia to your pet? The Easter Lily.

Springtime brings many cats to the emergency room due to ingestion of Easter lilies. Easter lilies are highly toxic to cats and if ingested, can cause kidney failure and death. To help pet owners handle this type of emergency, the Angell Animal Medical Center Emergency service is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week: 617-522-7282 or visit www.angell.org/emergency.

Typical signs of Easter lily toxicity:
    · Vomiting
    · Lethargy

Cats must be treated within 18 hours of ingesting the plant, or kidney damage may be irreversible. Other toxic lilies include tiger lilies, Japanese showy lilies, and day lilies. Many other bulb plants are also poisonous such as daffodils and hyacinths. If you have a cat, it is best to remove lilies and poisonous bulb plants from your home to ensure your pet's safety.