Which houseplant is more dangerous than a Poinsettia to your pet?

The Easter Lily

Springtime brings many cats to the emergency room due to ingestion of Easter lilies. All parts of the Easter lily plant are highly toxic to cats at even the smallest amounts and if ingested, can cause kidney failure and death. To help pet owners handle this type of emergency,
Angell Animal Medical Center provides 24 hour emergency service at both our Boston and Waltham locations. For emergency cases like this, please call: 617-522-7282 or 781-902-8400 (Waltham) and bring your pet to Angell's emergency service at 350 South Huntington Avenue in Boston or 293 Second Avenue in Waltham. For more information about our Emergency service, please visit www.angell.org/emergency.

Typical signs of Easter lily toxicity:
    • Vomiting
    • Lethargy
    • Loss of appetite

Cats must be treated within 18 hours of ingesting the plant, or kidney damage may be irreversible. Other toxic lilies include tiger lilies, Japanese showy lilies, and day lilies. Many other bulb plants are also poisonous such as daffodils and hyacinths. If you have a cat, it is best to remove lilies and poisonous bulb plants from your home to ensure your pet’s safety.