The Department of Pathology has provided many valuable services for veterinarians and pet owners since its inception in 1946. Dr. David L. Coffin, the first veterinary pathologist on the staff at Angell Boston, headed the department from 1946-1956. He was assisted by medical pathologists at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, D.C. and by Dr. Shields Warren, Commonwealth of Massachusetts Department of Health, Tumor Diagnosis Section, Boston.
In 1957, Dr. T.C. Jones, who had been the chief of the Veterinary Pathology Section of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, was appointed director of Pathology at Angell. During his tenure, which lasted until 1967, a National Institutes of Health-supported institutional training grant was obtained and a full-time associate pathologist position was created. Following Dr. Jones’ appointment as professor of Comparative Pathology and associate director of the New England Regional Primate Research Center of the Harvard Medical School in September of 1967, Dr. Charley Gilmore, who had been associate pathologist at Angell for the preceding two years, was named director of Pathology at Angell, a position he held until June 1973. The legacy continued through the 80’s and 90’s with staffing and leadership by outstanding members of the pathology community including Drs. James Carpenter, Frances Moore, Lois Roth, and Scott Schelling.