This is an unpaid volunteer role within our volunteer program. It is open to reliable, mature college students considering careers with animals. If you are seeking an unfiltered look at the rewards and challenges of a career in animal welfare, we’d love to consider your application!
The Animal Welfare Specialist Intern will support staff in caring for our animals and connecting people with the resources they need. As such, they should share the MSPCA’s desire to affect change in our community. AWS Interns should have a deep sense of compassion and a strong desire to help both animals and people.
The AWS Intern will demonstrate and embrace the organizational values of compassion, integrity, collaboration, excellence, service, and positivity in carrying out day to day tasks as well as interactions with others.
Applications for this role are due by June 10th, 2023. Applications may be shut down earlier if all openings are filled, so don’t wait to apply!
- Complete a variety of tasks as directed by staff. Tasks may include but are not limited to cleaning, disinfecting, office work, phone calls, cage set up, laundry, dishes, donation sorting, and animal care.
- Ensure all animals are provided with the best possible care.
- Clean and disinfect kennels, cages, stalls, pens, etc. which are regularly soiled with feces and urine. Vomit and blood may be encountered.
- Provide proper food, water, bedding, and enrichment to shelter animals
- Provide quality and meaningful customer service to the general public at all times.
- Participate in training as required by role.
- Have the ability to keep information confidential
- Able to sustain moderate to heavy activity for the full day, with variable amounts of standing, walking, bending, reaching, lifting, and stooping
- Able to lift, push, pull, or carry objects and/or animals weighing up to 50lbs.
- Able to safely perform these duties in variant temperatures and elements including extreme heat, extreme cold, and inclement weather.
- Must be able to manage any animal or hay-related allergies with medication
Emotional and Mental Requirements:
- Able to multitask and complete tasks in a fast paced, high stress environment
- Able to maintain composure during challenging and/or emotionally charged situations
- Able to work with staff, fellow volunteers, and clients in an empathetic and supportive manner
- Adaptable to an ever-changing environment. This role is not a suitable match for individuals who do best with routine tasks
- Receptive to direction and feedback
- The ability to remain open-minded and understanding of decisions for euthanasia that consider the animal’s physical and emotional well-being and the safety of the community.
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Ability to work well with and communicate effectively with the public, staff, and fellow volunteers
- Ability to be judgment-free in challenging situations, including animal surrenders
- Able to multitask and prioritize in a fast paced, high stress environment
- Able to work independently
- Able to pass a criminal history check
- Computer proficiency is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus!
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Completion of senior year of high school by June 2023
- Some animal experience is necessary. Experience with multiple species with various dispositions and behavior needs helpful but not required.
- Equine or other farm experience is a plus! Interns will be required to assist in the barn areas. Applicants with relevant experience will be prioritized.
- For this role, it is required applicants have a valid driver’s license and their own personal vehicle.
- Attendance at a virtual orientation prior to the start date.
- Applicants must turn 18 by June 15th, 2023.
- This role requires a high level of maturity, responsibility, and independence. All steps of the application process must be completed by the prospective volunteer rather than a parent or other 3rd party.
- One or two full days (7am-4pm) per week, on the same day(s) each week. This includes an hour lunch break 11am-noon. No half days are available.
- Days with openings remaining are Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
- Maximum of 2 days per week, to maintain balance with any job or other activities you may have. The minimum is one full day per week.
- Duration must be a minimum of 8 weeks during the period of June-August.
- As this is a summer role, when filling out the application please use your summer 2023 availability as a guideline when listing days you are available.
Click here to apply