This is an unpaid volunteer role within our volunteer program. It is open to high school upperclassmen and college students.
The Community Outreach internship is for individuals with a deep sense of compassion and a desire to help both animals and people. The Community Outreach (CO) team at the MSPCA at Nevins Farm is looking for an intern to support outreach staff in connecting pet owners with resources they may need, such as vaccines, pet food and supplies, and spay/neuter. In doing so, they should share the MSPCA’s desire to effect change in our community and bridge gaps of resources for pet owners.
Applications for this role are due by June 10th, 2023.
- Complete a variety of tasks as directed by outreach staff. Tasks may include but are not limited prepping and tracking pet food to send to local pantries, assisting at pop up pantries and farmer’s markets in the community, helping at vaccine clinics, and sorting and delivering donations of pet food and supplies.
- Engage in compassionate and helpful conversations with pet owners
- Have the ability to keep information confidential
- Able to sustain moderate to heavy activity with variable amounts of standing, walking, bending, reaching, lifting, and stooping
- Able to lift, push, pull, or carry objects and/or animals weighing up to 50lbs.
- Able to perform these duties in variant temperatures and elements including heat, cold, direct sun, and inclement weather.
- Must be able to manage animal or hay-related allergies (if any) with medication
Emotional and Mental Requirements:
- Able to maintain composure during challenging and/or emotionally charged situations
- Able to communicate with staff and pet owners in an empathetic and supportive manner
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Ability to work well with and communicate effectively with the public, staff, and fellow volunteers both in person and on the phone.
- Ability to be judgment-free in challenging situations.
- Understanding or eagerness to learn about resource inequality, and agree that all people deserve to give pets a loving home and family regardless of income.
- Some computer skills required for data entry.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Completion of senior year of high school or higher by June 2023
- Applicants must turn 18 by June 15th, 2023.
- Experience with animals is helpful but not required
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and their own vehicle for this internship. Some tasks will require use of a personal vehicle.
- Attendance at a virtual orientation prior to the start date.
- This role requires a high level of maturity, responsibility, and independence. All steps of the application process must be completed by the prospective volunteer rather than a parent or other 3rd party.
- Hours and days needed will change week to week, dependent upon the needs of MSPCA staff. Applicants should plan to be available for a total of 5-10 hours each week, during the hours of 7am-4pm.
- As this is a summer role, when filling out the application please use your summer 2023 availability as a guideline when listing days/times you are available.
Click here to apply