More on Our Surrender Process
- We ask that the pet’s owner be present at the time of surrender. If this isn’t possible, please call an Adoption Center to make other arrangements.
- Gather your pet’s medical records, as well as the name and phone number of their most current veterinarian.
- We will work with you to fill out pet personality profiles/animal history forms on your cat, dog or small animal when you come to our adoption center. The personality profile is very important as it helps us make the right match between your animal and a potential adopter.
- Please make sure dogs are on a leash, cats in a carrier and small animals either in a carrier or cage. If you do not have a carrier or leash at home you are welcome to come to our adoption center prior to surrendering your pet to pick one up.
- Our Adoption Center requests a $100 donation for all animals to help cover the costs of the animal while it is in our care. If you are not able to afford a donation for your animal’s care, we will never turn away an animal based on inability to afford a donation.
The MSPCA receives over 4,000 animals at our Noble Family Adoption Center in Methuen each year. We have many wonderful success stories of finding homes for pets who are brought to us. At the same time, while we try our best to find homes for every animal that is brought to us, we are often faced with difficult euthanasia decisions when an animal is not medically or behaviorally sound for adoption. We do not make this decision based on length of stay or space. The adoption center environment can be a very stressful place for a pet. While we do our best to make each animal feel as comfortable as possible, it is not a home. It is for this reason that we look to you to try everything you can to work on the situation you are facing before surrendering your animal to us.
You may also want to look into placing your animal in a foster based rescue groups. A full list of animal shelters and foster based rescue organizations can be found on the Department of Agricultural Resources website.