Adoptions are done by appointment only in the Equine & Farm Animal Adoption Center due to the in-depth counseling involved and limited staffing.
Fill out an Inquiry for a Horse or Farm Animal
View Our Adoptable Animals
The Equine & Farm Animal Adoption Center is host to a variety of horses ranging in breeds, ages, training, and more. The adoption of a horse is a lengthy commitment, and therefore we take a long, conversational approach to creating matches.
- First, we will review the online application you’ve submitted to learn more about you and what you are looking for in a horse.
- If we identify a potential match in our current herd, we will set up a “Meet ‘n’ Greet” appointment so you can meet, groom, and handle the horse on the ground and start working with one of our Animal Welfare Specialists.
- If applicable, we’ll have you back for a second appointment so you can see the horse go under saddle and ride them yourself. In some instances, we may ask for video(s) of you riding prior to making this appointment. All riders are required to wear close-toed, low-heeled boots and an ASTM/SEI certified helmet.
- We will ask for photos of the enclosure/shelter/boarding facility the horse will be kept in as a part of the adoption process and may ask for a veterinary reference.
- Not seeing a match? Reach out to hear about horses looking for placement outside of the program.
Please note – we do not offer leases or trials on any of our horses.
Our adoption fee for horses varies based on the training, medical, and behavioral needs of the individual horse. The adoption fee includes:
- Coggins test
- Rabies vaccine
- Flu-Rhino vaccine
- EWT vaccine
- Deworming (as needed)
- Farrier work
- Teeth float
Other Farm Animals
Our adoption process for other farm animals follows the same philosophy as the rest of our adoptable animals in terms of matchmaking for your personal needs. We also will ask for photos of the enclosure/shelter the animal will be kept in as a part of the adoption process and may ask for a veterinary reference.
MSPCA Adoption Fees
Roosters/Other Fowl: $15
Laying Hens: $25
Farm animal adoption fees include:
- State required testing
- Deworming/de-licing, as needed
- Rabies vaccine (excludes fowl)
- CDT vaccine (ruminants only)
- Ear tags/Microchip if applicable (ruminants only)
- Spay/neuter (pigs only), castration (ruminants only)
- Hoof/tusk/flight feather/nail trim, as needed
MSPCA Adoption Philosophy
The MSPCA believes the human-animal bond is important to promote and preserve. We seek to help potential adopters form new bonds that bring the joy and comfort of companionship for both pet and human guardian.
Our adoption program is designed to be welcoming, nonjudgmental, and free of lengthy applications. We strive to engage all prospective adopters in a conversation aimed at matching an adopter’s lifestyle, interests and home environment with an animal’s personality, medical and behavioral needs. Adopting an animal is an extraordinary opportunity to choose your newest family member. At the MSPCA it is a great privilege for our staff and volunteers to guide that journey for adopters and animals.
As we help to build life-long relationships between adopters and the animals in our care, we also hope to build a life-long relationship between adopters and the MSPCA. We consider our adopters to be a part of the MSPCA Family; our staff is available to offer guidance and suggestions during the pet’s transition to his or her new home and throughout the pet’s lifetime.