Catvocates was created to start funding additional support for adoption promotions and spay-neuter initiatives. It is currently being led by Overseers Lisa Finkel, Ann-Louise Hittle, Sharon Malt, and Bebe Wunderlich.
The MSPCA’s first promotion began in the summer of 2011, and the results since then have proven extraordinarily successful! We’re excited to continue our efforts through 2016 and beyond. Will you consider supporting these efforts with a gift to help us defray the costs of cat adoptions and spay-neuter initiatives?
Adult cats create one of the MSPCA’s great ongoing challenges. Every year, more adult cats find their way to us than any other type of animal. These fabulous felines arrive at our adoption centers from many sources: the numerous strays found in buildings and neighborhoods who are brought to us by kind strangers; cats rescued from dangerous and difficult circumstances (such as hoarding situations); and, finally and sadly, cats who can no longer be kept by their owners due to illness, economic problems, or other life challenges.
- In 2011 alone, MSPCA took in 4,661 adult cats that were made available for adoption in its centers around the state. This was a 10% increase over the previous year.
- While the number of surrenders for other types of animals (and kittens) has decreased dramatically since 1985, the number of adult cat surrenders remained stable leading into 2011.
This statistic suggested the need to tackle the cat over-population issue from two angles: more adult-cat promotions AND subsidized spay/neuter programs.
And It’s Working!
Since the inception of Catvocates in 2011, we’ve made significant strides. Through strategic cat spay-neuter events and the introduction of Fee-Waived Cat Adoptathons, we have positively affected the intake rate of cats in our adoption centers as well as the adoption rate of adult cats.
- 2,328 adult cats have found new homes during our fee-waived adoption events! These events helped bring our overall cat adoption rate to 90%.
- 448 cats in their golden years (9 years and over) were placed into new homes in 2016, compared to 217 in 2011 – an increase of 106%!
- 16,000 were sterilized since the beginning of the Catvocates in 2011, which has contributed to a 52.5% reduction of cats being brought into our Adoption Centers in the six-year period. Additionally, we continued our aggressive, targeted low-cost spay-neuter efforts for owned and free-roaming cats, increasing the number of surgeries by 63% since 2011.
But We Still Have Work To Do…
Please join the Catvocates today. Your contribution will help fund these creative programs that reduce overpopulation and find homes for adult cats. Imagine a world where every healthy cat – who, by some chance, finds its way to our shelters – finds that “purr-fect match”. That’s the mission of the Catvocates.
Your support of cat adoption programs at the MSPCA will make a difference in the lives of cats in our area.
Click here to make a donation to support Catvocate programs
Or, learn more about spay/neuter programs at our Shalit-Glazer Clinic, MSPCA at Nevins Farm, or MSPCA Cape Cod.