Junior Volunteer Program At Nevins Farm
Our traditional volunteer program requires that our helpers be at least 16 years old to work with animals. But many young teens want to experience what it’s really like to roll up their sleeves and get a little dirty helping out at the shelter! The Junior Volunteer Program will offer just that opportunity, by providing experienced volunteers and staff to coach participants, ensuring a fun and safe experience at the shelter.
Activities will include a combination of animal care chores as well as support chores. Depending on the session, these may include cleaning cat cages, sorting donations, walking dogs, washing dishes and floors, folding laundry, mucking stalls, feeding animals, picking paddocks, cleaning the coop – whatever is most needed!
- JV is for kids who are 11-15 years of age.
- The program takes place in our small animal shelter on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30-4:30pm, Mondays from 9-11am (home school hours), one Sunday a month from 12-2pm, and one Saturday a month in the barn from 9-11am. Please click the register button to see dates available for registration.
- The program fee is $15 per session. If the program fee would be a barrier for your child to attend, please contact us via email as we may be able to help.
- While the JV Program does include the word “volunteer” in the program name, this is a staff lead, supervised program designed to provide education and keep your child safe – all while giving them a taste of what it is like to volunteer at the shelter. The program fee helps to offset staffing and programing costs, and also goes toward the support and care of the animals at Nevins Farm. To be a traditional volunteer at the MSPCA, you must be at least 16 years of age.
- Although this is a staff supervised program, we are more than happy to sign off on volunteer hours, or provide a reference letter for participants (please give us at least two weeks’ notice for letters of recommendation).
- Please contact us at email@example.com or call 978-687-7453 x6108 if you have additional questions about the Junior Volunteer Program