Angell Animal Medical Center has five USDA accredited veterinarians and an International Travel Team who are happy to assist you in traveling internationally with your pet! International travel with a pet requires a significant amount of preparation on the owner’s part, so begin your research as early as you can. Some countries require that you start the process at least six months in advance and that you have a USDA accredited veterinarian examine your pet and complete your paperwork.
In order to assist you in that preparation, we have detailed the necessary steps below for you to follow.
There are six steps you will need to take in order to complete the paperwork required for traveling with your pet:
- Contact the USDA Live Animal Export Health Certificate Review Service by phone 518-218-7540 or by e-mail email@example.com. Information on international travel with pets can also be found on the USDA website: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pettravel. Please be aware that you may need schedule an appointment with the regional USDA Office in Albany, NY.
- Speak with a representative at the consulate or embassy for the country of destination to obtain and ensure you fully understand all of the requirements for bringing your pet into that country.
- Check with the airline provider. Each airline has its own specific requirements regarding pet travel. The decision to allow your pet to board the plane ultimately comes down to the airline, and as such, all requirements must be met.
- Contact Angell Animal Medical Center. Once you have satisfied the above requirements, please fill out this online form which is required in order to schedule an appointment. A member of our team will get back to you within 2 business days to set up an appointment for you and your pet.
- We require all clients traveling internationally to please read and sign this International Travel Cert Agreement.
- If you have questions, please email InternationalTravel@angell.org for help, or call 617-541-5180 to leave a message for a member of our International Travel Team to assist you. That said, the responsibility of knowing the requirements for each of the areas above and how they impact your specific travel plans ultimately falls to you.
Please note if you are coordinating your travel from outside of the United States, it will likely be more convenient to all involved if we assist you via email.
Important details required for your International Travel appointment:
- Travel dates
- Full address in the Country traveling to/from
- Layover locations and duration
- Vaccination records
- Microchip ID number and date given
- Any pertinent medical history
We require all clients traveling internationally to please read and sign this International Travel Cert Agreement.