Angell Animal Medical Center has five USDA accredited veterinarians and an International Travel Team who are happy to assist you in traveling internationally with your pet! International travel with a pet requires a significant amount of preparation on the owner’s part, so begin your research as early as you can. Some countries require that you start the process at least six months in advance and that you have a USDA accredited veterinarian examine your pet and complete your paperwork.
In order to assist you in that preparation, we have detailed the necessary steps below for you to follow. Once you have completed the first three steps and have obtained the requirements for your travel, we will be able to help you schedule an appointment with one of our USDA accredited veterinarians and assist you in fulfilling those requirements.
There are four steps you will need to take in order to complete the paperwork required for traveling with your pet:
- Speak with a representative at the USDA so that you are aware of the requirements for travel. The USDA Live Animal Export Health Certificate Review Service is now located in Albany, NY and can be reached at 518-218-7540. Information on international travel with pets can also be found on the USDA website: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/. Please be aware that depending on the destination and time frame in which you are traveling, you may need to mail paperwork or schedule an appointment with the regional USDA Office in Albany, NY.
- Speak with a representative at the consulate or embassy for the country of destination to obtain and ensure you fully understand all of the requirements for bringing your pet into that country.
- Check with the airline provider. It is important to note that each airline has its own specific requirements regarding pet travel. These requirements cover everything from the type of carrier in which your pet can fly, to the temperature exposure, age, breed, and weight. This information is usually available on the airline’s website.
- Contact Angell Animal Medical Center. Once you have satisfied the above requirements, please call or email Angell’s International Travel Team directly at (617) 541-5180 or InternationalTravel@angell.org or fill out this online form. A member of our team will get back to you within 48 hours to set up an appointment for you and your pet. The International Travel Team will be able to answer any further questions that you have and assist you in filling out the necessary paperwork during your appointment. That said, the responsibility of knowing the requirements for each of the three areas above and how they impact your specific travel plans ultimately falls to you.
Please note if you are coordinating your travel from outside of the United States, it will likely be more convenient to all involved if we assist you via email.
Important details required for your International Travel appointment:
- Travel dates
- Full address in the Country traveling to/from
- Layover locations and duration
- Vaccination records
- Microchip ID number and date given
- Any pertinent medical history
This page is also available as a downloadable checklist here.
We require all clients traveling internationally to please read and sign this International Travel Cert Agreement.
For boarding reservations/rates at Angell please contact 617-522-7282 or email email@example.com.