The Working Cat or Barn Cat Program is for cats that are not well suited for an indoor-only lifestyle. Working cats thrive in environments with more space, a job, and/or less pressure from humans and other pets.
While the majority of cats can easily live as indoor house pets, some cats may be unsafe or unable to live fully indoors. Cats in our Working Cat Program,fall into one of these categories:
- Undersocialized cats who prefer to keep their distance from humans.
- Feisty cats that play too rough when kept indoors only.
- Cats with inappropriate litter box habits.
- Cats who previously lived as outdoor pets.
- Cats who previously lives as indoor/outdoor pets.
These cats are specifically selected to be a part of our working cat program due to behaviors they are exhibiting. We do not include cats that would do well as indoor-only pets.
Working Cat Adoptions Include
- Spay/neuter surgery
- Up-to-date rabies and distemper vaccinations
- FeLV tested
- Micro-chipped (a form of permanent identification)
We also have resources available to help you acclimate your cat to the environment in a safe manner.
Adopters are Responsible For Providing
- Shelter with protection from the elements and with distance from highly trafficked roads.
- Daily food and water
- Long-term veterinary care, as needed
- A secure dedicated space to allow for the cat’s acclimation to its new environment. This can be a tack room or an indoor enclosure that they cannot escape from.
We also request an adoption fee which will help offset some of the medical costs.
Things to consider
The care of a working cat is an important responsibility. You will be assuming care for the cat for its lifetime, which may be as much as 15 or 20 years. In exchange for providing the essentials of food, water, medical care, and shelter, your working cat will earn its keep by offering hunting skills and companionship.
Fill Out our Survey to Learn More!
Or contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of our working cats are now listed on our adoptable animals page! Look for cats with the word “Barn/Working Cat” in their name to meet some of our adoptable working cats!