Are you someone who enjoys making yummy and fun activities for dogs, and doesn’t mind getting a little dirty? Our Dog Enrichment and Kennel Support volunteers will make a variety of enrichment items for dogs and assist with afternoon cleaning in our kennel areas. Volunteers applying for this role should not expect to walk or play with dogs. However, applicants must be comfortable with dogs of various sizes and temperaments as you will be working in their living areas and potentially providing food to them.
- Make, store, and distribute a variety of enrichment items including kongs, broth bowls, and more
- Clean and disinfect kennels and provide bedding and toys to each dog
- Various tasks as needed, may include but are not limited to cutting up high value treats, washing and folding laundry, and washing dishes.
- Able to meet the physical demands of this role, which require variable amounts of standing, walking, bending, reaching, and stooping.
- Willingness to clean areas soiled with feces and urine.
- Able to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast paced environment
- Emotional ability to handle difficult situations involving animals
- Ability to remain flexible during shift and helping where it is needed most.
- A commitment of at least six months
- A weekly shift on a set day and time
- Attendance at an orientation and on-the-job training
- 2:30pm-4:30pm: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday
- We are unable to accommodate requests for alterations to the schedule. Please ensure you will be available for the full duration of a shift before applying. Thank you!
While we cannot guarantee that you will be able to walk dogs later on; we will be happy to discuss the potential to walk dogs with volunteers who demonstrate the ability to be a team player, use good judgement, follow instructions, and show up consistently for their initial 6 month commitment.