Flex Caregiver volunteers provide care to shelter pets, ensuring their living environment remains safe, clean and as comfortable as possible. This role is a good match for individuals who thrive with varied tasks, can follow an array of directions, are self-directed, and who work equally well independently or as part of a team. Please note, Flex Caregivers may help in the dog areas but will not interact directly with dogs. We are unable to change this role to fit applicant requests or qualifications.
- Flex Caregiver volunteers will work with a variety of species, including but not limited to rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, hamsters, and cats. Flex Caregivers will also help in the dog kennel areas.
- Volunteers clean, disinfect enclosures, and provide appropriate food, water, litter, toys and bedding along with interacting and socializing with the animals.
- Read regular emails and other communications regarding our animals
- Help with other shelter tasks such as enrichment, dishes, laundry, and sorting donations.
- Some level of comfort or experience with animals.
- Some knowledge of animal body language.
- Willingness to clean areas soiled with feces and urine.
- Ability to work independently and with others.
- Ability to quickly make good judgments, for the safety of the individual, staff, other volunteers, and animals.
- Emotional ability to handle difficult situations involving animals
- Ability to perform physical labor for the duration of shift – such as use of stepladder and lifting/pulling up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to remain flexible during shift and helping where it is needed most.
- A commitment of at least six months
- A weekly 3 hour shift on a set day and time
- Attendance of a virtual orientation and on-the-job training shift
- We have three shifts time available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday:
- Morning: 8am-11am
- Mid-day: 12pm-3pm
- Afternoon: 1:30pm-4:30pm
- We are unable to accommodate requests for alterations to the schedule. Please ensure you will be available for the full duration of a shift before applying. Thank you!