This role is an opportunity for qualified individuals who wish to use pre-existing experience and skills to benefit animals in our shelter. Using daily meds sheets, shelter medications volunteers will assist staff in preparing, distributing, and administering medications to cats and various small animals. Dogs may become an option later on.
- Follow protocols to prepare, distribute, and administer medications.
- Medication include : oral (liquid, pill), topical, trans-mucosa, eye drops/ointment, medicated wipes, syringe feeding
- Ensure animals have ingested oral medications.
- Keep accurate records of medications given.
- Significant experience medicating animals at a past or present job, volunteer role, or vet/tech school program. Please provide details in your application. We are unable to accept volunteers without relevant experience.
- Ability to work both independently and with others.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Medications are distributed on a schedule. Applicants for this role should be highly reliable and capable of consistently arriving on time.
- The ability to pass a background check.
- The ability to safely physically restrain animals as necessary for medications.
- Proficiency in administering medications orally, topically, and via injections required.
- Experience with administering IV fluids preferred.
- Attendance at a virtual orientation.
- Completion of a background check through MSPCA-Angell.
- Hands-on training shift with staff.
- Applicants must be 18 or older
- A commitment of at least six months
- A weekly shift on a set day and time
- Reliable transportation plan for weekly shift.
- Monday – Friday from 3pm-5pm
- We are unable to accommodate requests for alterations to the schedule. Please ensure you will be available for the full duration of a shift before applying. Thank you!