As a Small Animal Foster Caregiver you will care for selected animals in your home. Foster Caregiver should have a deep sense of compassion and a strong desire to help both animals and people. We ask that you provide daily care to meet the needs of your foster pet. It is also important to observe and check in on your foster pet’s health and behavior and take photos and videos of your foster animal. We ask that you actively seek an adoptive home for your foster animal.
The length of stay can vary widely depending on the reason the animal is seeking foster care and if you will be helping us find the small animal a home, how long it takes to find the animal a home can vary.
We ask that as a foster care provider you demonstrate and embrace the organizational values of Compassion, Integrity, Collaboration, Excellence, Service and Positivity in carrying out day to day tasks as well as in interactions with others.
- House small animals including animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters etc. in your home.
- Take photos, videos and notes regarding your foster pet.
- Ensure all foster animals are provided with the best possible care. Clean and disinfect enclosures, cages, etc., provide proper food, water, bedding and enrichment for your foster pet.
- Engage in using your social media, and other marketing tools in order to assist your foster pets in finding an adoptive home.
- Participate in orientation as required for role.
- Have the ability to keep information confidential.
- Be willing to help with transfer of foster pets to/from shelter/adopters.
- Communicate any needs or changes to the Foster Care Coordinator.
- Able to lift, push, pull or carry objects and/or animals weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to manage any animal or hay-related allergies with medication
Emotional and mental requirements
- Able to maintain composure during challenging and/or emotionally charged situations
- Able to work with staff, fellow volunteers, and clients in an empathetic and supportive manner
Required skills & attributes
- Ability to work well and communicate effectively with the public, staff, and fellow volunteers
- Ability to remain positive and judgment free in challenging situations
- Ability to pass a criminal history check
Qualifications and education requirements
- Some animal experience preferred. Experience with multiple species with various dispositions and behavior needs helpful but not required.
Reliable transportation is required in order to pick up foster pets and supplies. Must live within a reasonable distance from the shelter.
*Please Note! This position is not for those looking to foster cats and dogs. Small animals include rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, chinchillas, ferrets, etc.
Apply Now to Become a Small Animal Foster Parent