From an online gift to a charitable gift annuity, your contribution will have a significant impact in the lives of thousands of animals.
Plastic Snack Bags
Chip, snack, and cereal bags pose a suffocation risk that pet owners might not know about until it’s too late.
This may be surprising, and we may think that dogs can just get the bag off. However, the bag, especially those with plastic and mylar-lined insides are particular risky. It can be very difficult for an animal to break the seal, especially when they start to lose oxygen. This can impact all sized of dogs.
Many people have returned home or walked into another room to find a bag covering their beloved pet’s head. It happens to dogs more often but does happen to cats as well.
What you can do:
Keep all chip/snack/pet food bags safely stored away from your pet.
Tear or cut up all chip bags and food bags after use.
Store chips/snacks/pet food in resealable plastic containers.
Serve chips and snacks in glass bowls or containers instead of in bags.
Keep all trash can lids tightly fastened, locked, or behind a cabinet.
Micah, with dog Harley, before she suffocated in a bag.
Cedar bedding — often sold and labeled for guinea pigs —can be dangerous for them. We know of instances where people have switched to cedar bedding with harmful outcomes. Even in an open air habitat, our veterinarians recommend against using this product because the animals are so close to the bedding. There is evidence that the aromatic phenols in the cedar can cause liver and respiratory problems. It is not used in research settings because of the potential hepatotoxicity.