MSPCA-Angell Headquarters

350 South Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02130
(617) 522-7400
Email Us

Angell Animal Medical Centers – Boston

350 South Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02130
(617) 522-7282
More Info

Angell West

293 Second Avenue, Waltham, MA 02451
(781) 902-8400
For on-site assistance (check-ins and pick-ups):
(339) 970-0790
More Info

Angell at Essex

565 Maple Street, Danvers, MA 01923
(978) 304-4648
More Info

Animal Care and Adoption Centers – Boston

350 South Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02130
(617) 522-5055
More Info

Animal Care and Adoption Centers – Cape Cod

1577 Falmouth Road, Centerville, MA 02632
(508) 775-0940
More Info

Animal Care and Adoption Centers – Nevins Farm

400 Broadway, Methuen, MA 01844
(978) 687-7453
More Info

Animal Care and Adoption Centers – Northeast Animal Shelter

347 Highland Ave., Salem, MA 01970
(978) 745-9888
More Info

Donate Now


More Ways to Donate

From an online gift to a charitable gift annuity, your contribution will have a significant impact in the lives of thousands of animals.

Farm Animal Health and Veterinary Care

Just like indoor pets, companion farm animals need veterinary care and routine at-home health care.  Of course, providing immunizations to a 250-pound Yorkshire pig is different from putting your kitten in a carrier and driving her to the vet.  Fortunately, many large animal veterinarians make house calls (and unless you have a trailor and a very tolerant farm animal, they’d have to).

So what exactly do farm animals need in terms of medical care?

Most livestock (goats, sheep, pigs, cattle), horses, and poultry (including water fowl) require de-wormers and vaccines, which will vary depending on the species.  Mammals are generally vaccinated against rabies and tetanus.

Blood Tests
All farm birds in the state of Massachusetts must be tested for Salmonella (this testing is free and can be arranged by contacting 617-626-1796).  Testing for Avian flu and Mycoplasma is available and encouraged.  The state believes that the best way to keep your birds healthy is to obtain eggs and chicks from Salmonella-free farms, and to keep their coop very clean.

Hoof and Horn Care
All animals with hooves require hoof care, which may include trimming or treatment of hoof-related illness or injury.  Experienced owners may be able to provide hoof treatment and trimming on their own, but inexperienced owners are encouraged to consult a veterinarian.  Animals with horns (goats, sheep) may require trimming or removal of their horns, if they are broken or an injury risk to the animal or others in the herd.

Some horses are shod (wear shoes), but not all.  Your veterinarian can help you determine whether shoes are appropriate for your horse.  A farrier (specialist who makes horse shoes and attaches them to a horse’s hooves) can help you choose the best product for your horse and assist in creating a hoof care plan for your horse.

To find a local large animal veterinarian, ask for referrals from neighbors with companion farm animals, or contact your local MSPCA adoption center for suggestions.

Like this article?

Subscribe to our emails for even more useful pet tips!