For horse owners who may be going through a temporary period of financial insecurity or a family crisis, the MSPCA’s Emergency Equine Relief Fund acts as a safety net. The program takes a proactive approach to equine welfare, working to keep horses and people together.
The MSPCA Emergency Equine Relief Fund serves as a resource for those who need short term help feeding or caring for their horses. The fund can also assist owners who are facing end of life care for their horses and need assistance with humane euthanasia.
The fund also provides support for horses and farm animals currently being cared for by Nevins Farm. Some may need routine vaccines, surgery or shoeing, while others may be suffering from serious injury or disease, or in need of lengthy rehabilitation to restore their health, dignity and grace.
Available for qualifying horse owners:
- Hay & Feed support
- Farrier care
- Euthanasia and disposal assistance
- Veterinary care: Assistance for veterinary care is generally limited to assistance with wellness care, diagnostics and urgent care. Examples include dentistry, wound repair, lamess, colic symptoms and treatment, etc. We typically cannot cover the full cost of medical care.
Before you apply:
- Equine businesses are not eligible for assistance; aid is awarded for individual horse owners.
- We cannot provide assistance for services that a horse has already received.
- Our average level of assistance is $500-1,000 for horse owners.
- Qualifying horse owners must be prepared to demonstrate financial need.
- Payments for services will be made directly to the vendor. Vendors must be able to provide a W-9.
- Aid will be awarded on a case by case basis and will focus on animal owners with a track record of responsible care.
- Owners of companion farm animals are also considered for support.
- Our geographic focus is in the New England region. If you live or house your animals outside of New England, we will be unable to extend assistance.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone at 617-689-2917
More Resources for Equine Assistance
Maine State Society for the Protection of Animals
Feed and Care Bank for Maine Residents
New Hampshire SPCA
Emergency Program for Horse Owners
Rhode Island SPCA
Large Animal Assistance Program
United Horse Coalition
Resources for Covid-19
Fleet of Angels
Hay, transportation, disaster response
Equine Assistance Program
Short term hay, feed, boarding and veterinary support
Short term hay, feed, support