For horse owners who may be going through a temporary period of financial insecurity or a family crisis, the MSPCA’s Emergency Equine Relief Program acts as a safety net. The program takes a proactive approach to equine welfare, working to keep horses and people together.
With the economic downturn resulting from COVID-19, we know horse owners will need assistance now more than ever.
The MSPCA Emergency Equine Relief Program serves as a resource for those who need short term help feeding or caring for their horses. The Program can also assist owners who are facing end of life care for their horses and need assistance with humane euthanasia.
Available for qualifying horse owners:
Hay & Feed support:
- Up to $150 in hay and/or grain
Veterinary and Farrier Care:
- Up to $600 in routine veterinary care for vaccinations, basic dentistry, routine farrier work, or end of life care.
Before you apply:
- Qualifying horse owners must be prepared to demonstrate financial need.
- Aid will be awarded on a case by case basis and will focus on animal owners with a track record of responsible care.
- Owners of companion farm animals are also considered for support.
- Equine businesses are not eligible for assistance; aid is awarded for individual horse owners.
- Payments for services will be made directly to the vendor.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via telephone at (978) 687-7453 x6101.
More Resources for Equine Assistance
Maine State Society for the Protection of Animals
Feed and Care Bank for Maine Residents
New Hampshire SPCA
Emergency Program for Horse Owners
Rhode Island SPCA: 401-438-8150
United Horse Coalition
Resources for Covid-19
Fleet of Angels
Hay, transportation, disaster response
Equine Assistance Program
Short term hay, feed, boarding and veterinary support
Short term hay, feed, support