There are many ways to help the animals at the MSPCA-Boston Animal Care and Adoption Center.
Boston General Fund
Help the animals in Boston every day by making a donation to the Boston adoption center.
Help defray the cost of caring for animals at the Boston Adoption Center by sponsoring their housing – we will honor your sponsorship with a plaque on a cage/kennel of your choice.
Pet Care Assistance
Support medical care for sick, injured, or homeless animals in need.
View our current needs at www.mspca.org/wishlist
Host a Lemonade Stand or Bake Sale
It’s a fun way to raise money for the animals! We also have a cider stand and a hot chocolate stand for different seasons! Learn more.
Go on an Adoption Quest
Choose a shelter cat or dog and help them get adopted by telling your friends and family about them. Share their picture on Facebook, put out flyers around your local markets and libraries – get creative!
Just be sure to email email@example.com to let us know about your efforts! If you know someone who needs advice on adopting a pet or information on pet care, encourage them to visit our website and our adoption center. They can also view pictures of our animals up for adoption online!
Post Flyers About Adoption Events
We always need help posting flyers for our adoption events and spay/neuter promotions in towns and cities around the Boston area. There are many animals in under-served areas that need our help, and you can take part in getting the word out! Volunteer groups can pick up a packet of flyers and go to town! Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can send you some flyers!
Dress up in a Dog or Cat Costume at our Special Events
Throughout the year we host special fundraising events where we ask folks to dress up in our mascot costumes and raise donations outside our adoption center – you must be accompanied by an adult to participate – email email@example.com to sign up to join our mascot list receive emails as events are scheduled.
Dog Biscuit Bake Sale
Selling homemade dog cookies is a yummy way to help the animals. After baking, package the cookies in bags with colorful ribbon to sell them to your neighbors or at local dog parks. The MSPCA can provide informational brochures to give out along with the cookies, so people can learn about the MSPCA at the same time. Be creative with the packaging or give the cookies a holiday theme (like Valentine’s Day) to make them more fun and festive.
Find a healthy dog cookie recipe on the Internet, at the library or use the following:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
6 tablespoons oil
2/3 cups water
1 cup peanut butter (optional)
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Roll dough to about 1/2 inch thick, then cut out shapes using your favorite cookie cutters. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees. (Recipe courtesy of the Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA)
Other Quick Ways to Help!
- Let your purchasing dollars be heard! Don’t shop at stores that sell pets. Let the stores that only sell supplies know you appreciate them.
- If you know someone who needs advice on adopting a pet, information on pet care, or any other animal issues, have them call the adoption center.
- If you see an animal being abused or neglected, call your local animal control officer or the MSPCA’s Law Enforcement Department for help.
- Put posters up at local stores, your school, or place of worship about how to help animals in your community.
- Organize a “Pennies for Pets” program. Collect the money in a canister or jar you create and donate it to the shelter.
- Do your part to end overpopulation by having your pet spayed or neutered. Tell other people to do the same.
- When thinking of adding a pet to your family, adopt! Whether it is a hamster, iguana, rabbit, cat, or dog, adoption centers have a wide variety of animals looking for loving homes like yours!