Junior Counselors are volunteers (age 15 and up) who work directly with the Camp’s Head Counselors to help make sure Camp runs smoothly and is educational and fun for all our campers. Responsibilities include coaching campers through animal care chores, assisting with discussions and crafts, helping with set-up and clean-up each day, participating in games and songs with campers, and being great role models by demonstrating a positive attitude and kindness to animals.
If you’re interested in becoming a JC, please apply! Applications are submitted electronically, using the form on the bottom of the page. Applications for the summer of 2016 will be taken February 1, 2016 through April 30, 2016. If you have questions or wish to check on the status of your application, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our fax number is (617) 989-1651.
- Junior Counselors (JC’s) work 8:30am to 3:30, Monday through Friday (on Wednesdays we have a staff meeting from 3:30-4:00). JC’s are asked to commit to at least two weeks of camp during the summer (the weeks do not need to be consecutive). JC’s must be age 15 by the start of their employment, as required by the state of Massachusetts, no exceptions.
- There is a mandatory JC Orientation for ALL JC’s (date is TBA). This is a great opportunity for all of the volunteers and staff to meet, learn our camp songs, go over the discussions that the campers participate in, and review camp policies and procedures (safety, etc.)
- A JC’s main responsibilities are: (1) assisting campers with chores, crafts, and other activities, making sure they are safe and having fun while doing so (2) setting a great example for campers by being upbeat, motivated role models ready and willing to sing songs, play games, and get kids excited about camp, and (3) taking on the majority of the set-up and clean-up each day, as assigned by the Head Counselors (camp staff).
- JC schedules will be announced one month prior to the start of camp, and will be sent via email.
- New JC’s are required to submit a letter of recommendation with their application (even if you have been a camper in the past). This can be faxed or emailed. We will notify you by email when we receive your letter. If you have been a JC before, you must reapply electronically, but you DO NOT need to submit a letter of recommendation. We suggest asking a teacher, coach, or employer to write one of your behalf.
Apply to be a Junior Counselor