This is a great opportunity for people who are excited to engage with the public and be involved in the adoption process of our cats. Cat Matchmakers will monitor the Adoption Floor, interact with the public, assist with finding the right match for the cat and humans, and help with caregiving tasks. This role is a good match for individuals who thrive with varied tasks, can follow an array of directions, are self-directed, and who work equally well independently or as part of a team.
- Monitor the cat adoption room during open hours and promote adoptable cats.
- Assist visitors with questions regarding the MSPCA and adoption process.
- Help members of the public find the cat that is the best match for them and the cat
- Use an empathetic, non-judgmental approach that is in line with the MSPCA Adoption Philosophies
- Monitor visitor interactions with adoptable felines and ensure that people refrain from improperly handling them or interacting with cats that are not available for adoption.
- Work to ensure the cleanliness of each cat’s enclosure.
- Assist with afternoon cat caregiver duties as needed which may include cleaning cages, feeding, and organizing cat areas.
- Basic counseling to make sure the cat will have an easy transition to their new home.
- Previous MSPCA volunteering a plus, but not required.
- Experience caring for and interacting with cats to ensure safe handling of animals.
- Knowledge of animal body language.
- Ability to professionally represent the MSPCA and our policies when interacting with the public.
- Use good judgement when matchmaking and alerting staff to any concerns.
- Excellent customer service skills with an approachable & friendly personality.
- Ability to work independently and with other volunteers & staff.
- Ability to remain flexible during shift which includes the willingness and to quickly respond to changing circumstances
- A commitment of at least six months.
- A weekly 4 hour shift on a set day and time.
- Attendance at a virtual orientation and on-the-job training
- Must learn and understand MSPCA adoption policies and procedures.
- Shifts are from 12pm-4pm on Friday’s
- We are unable to accommodate requests for alterations to the schedule. Please ensure you will be available for the full duration of a shift before applying. Thank you!