Are you an early bird who wants to make dogs happy? Dog Caregiver and Kennel Support volunteers assist staff in providing care and enrichment to shelter dogs. Volunteers ensure living environments remain safe, clean, and as comfortable as possible.Volunteers applying for this role should not expect to walk or play with dogs. However, applicants must be comfortable with dogs of various sizes and temperaments as you will be distributing food to them.
- Clean and disinfect kennels and provide bedding and toys to each dog
- Provide appropriate food, in accordance with each dog’s dietary plan
- Various tasks as needed, may include but are not limited to cleaning dog room floors, washing and folding laundry, and washing dishes.
- Able to meet the physical demands of this role, which require variable amounts of standing, walking, bending, reaching, and stooping.
- Willingness to clean areas soiled with feces and urine.
- Able to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast paced environment
- Emotional ability to handle difficult situations involving animals
- Ability to remain flexible during shift and helping where it is needed most.
- A commitment of at least six months
- A weekly shift on a set day and time
- Attendance at an orientation and on-the-job training
- 7:30am-10:30am: Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday
- We are unable to accommodate requests for alterations to the schedule. Please ensure you will be available for the full duration of a shift before applying. Thank you!
While we cannot guarantee that you will be able to walk dogs later on; we will be happy to discuss the potential to walk dogs with volunteers who demonstrate the ability to be a team player, use good judgement, follow instructions, and show up consistently for their initial 6 month commitment.