Shelter Care Volunteers assist staff in ensuring the shelter environment remains safe, clean and as comfortable as possible for animals, staff, and volunteers. This role is a great option for those seeking community service hours for National Honor Society or college applications.(We are not able to serve as a site for court-ordered service.)
- Wash, dry, fold, and put away laundry.
- Wash, dry, and put away dishes, litter boxes, and other items.
- Sort donations.
- Empty trash and recycling.
- Clean and disinfect shelter areas.
- Train other volunteers on Shelter Care tasks.
- Miscellaneous tasks as requested by staff.
- In times of high need, shelter care volunteers may be asked to assist with cleaning dog kennels.
- This role will not involve hands-on animal care, but directly supports their needs!
- Ability to work independently and with other volunteers
- Ability to follow directions and prioritize tasks
- Willingness to clean areas soiled with feces and urine.
- Ability to adapt to an ever-changing environment and quickly make good judgements for the safety of the individual, staff, other volunteers, and animals
- Ability to perform physical labor for the duration of shift, use stepladder, and lift and/or pull up to 50 pounds.
- A can-do attitude is a must for this role!
- A weekly 2 or 3 hour shift on a set day and time.
- Minimum Commitment is three consecutive months after onboarding. This may take up to a month after acceptance and is dependent on your availability for an orientation and training. Extended commitments welcome!
- Variable 2 hour shift between 7:30am – 4:30pm, 7 days a week